- Format is 4-on-4. Minimum of 1 women on the court at a time.
- Each match consists of 3 games (to 21, rally scoring, win by 2 or first to 23). Matches must be completed within the allotted time (60 minutes)
- No warm-up time on the court. Please come early and warm up on the side
- Teams forfeit 1 game for first 10 minutes past game time that they do not have enough players. Teams forfeit all games if not enough players after 20 minutes
- A team may rotate any number of players into the game in set order or choose to have a designated player for player substitutions.
- Any unsportsmanlike behavior will result in that player/team being suspended/removed from participating in all ZogSports leagues for one year
- Please don’t forfeit. Your teammates and opponents count on you to have a full team and competitive game. Each team must have at least 2 (two) roster players to start a game.
- Teams receive a forfeit for Game 1 if they do not have enough players by 10 minutes after the scheduled start time
- Teams receive a forfeit for all 3 games if they do not have enough players by 20 minutes after the scheduled start time
- No one may play without signing the waiver. If it is found that you are playing with someone who has not signed a waiver, your team will receive a forfeit
BEGINNING OF THE GAME
- A team may never have more than 3 men on the court at one time
NUMBER OF PLAYERS / TEAM SIZE
- The referee will have the two captains shoot odds/evens or rock/paper/scissors
- The winning captain will select to serve first or choose which side they prefer to play on, (not both)
- Teams will switch sides during the game when 11pts have been scored by a team.
- Each match will consist of three games (not best of three). Each game will count in the overall standings for regular season standings (if you win all 3 games in a match, your record is recorded as 3-0, not 1-0)
- All games are played to 21, rally scoring. Win by 2 points, cap at 23.
- One time-out per game is allowed
PICKING UP PLAYERS
- A team may rotate any number of players into the game in set order or choose to have player for player substitutions.
- Rosters are limited to 8 players, but extra players can be added for an additional fee. However, no additional players will be added to the roster after the 4th week. Waivers must be signed by all players and handed in before the start of the first game.
- PLAYERS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY GAME WITHOUT SIGNING THE WAIVER.
Since occasionally, teams may be short players and ZogSports wants everyone to be able to play every game possible, we permit teams to pick up non-roster, ZogSports players for your game. If you only have 2 men you can pick up a 1 woman to sub within the guidelines. Here are the guidelines:
- Less than 2 players -> official forfeit, play scrimmage
- Team has 2 players -> can pick up 2 if the other team has 4, 1 if the other team has 3
- Team has 3 players -> can pick up 1 if the other team has 4, 0 if the other team has 3
- Team has 4 players -> cannot pick anyone up
All pickups must be identified at the start of the game. Teams can ONLY pick up registered waiver signed ZogSports players for that specific season. If it is found out that you did not inform the referee about picked up players prior to the start of the game or that you are playing with a non-registered player, your team will receive a forfeit. DURING THE PLAYOFFS, ONLY PLAYERS ON YOUR ROSTER ARE ALLOWED TO PLAY.GAME TIMES
Teams will receive a schedule that will list when their team will play each week. Teams will be given 60 minutes to play 1 match (3 games). There is no designated “warm-up” time. “Warm-up” time is to be included in the allotted amount of time that teams will have for their match. Teams will decide if they wish to “warm-up” or not. The longer teams take/choose to “warm-up” the less time they may have to complete their match. If a game is stopped early due to time constraints the score at the time of stoppage will be final and reflected in the standings. Teams will have 10 minutes to field a team before they receive their first forfeit.RULES OF PLAY
- Net serves are allowed, and the ball can be played off the net on a serve.
- The server may not step on, under, or over the end line until the ball has been contacted. The width of the service area is from sideline to sideline. The depth of the service area is infinite. If a player steps on, under, or over the line, a foot fault will be called and it will be a side out
- The serve receive may not be blocked or spiked or attacked with an overhand gesture towards the ball--setting IS legal.
Players can return the serve by:
- Bump pass
- Clasping their hands together
- A closed fist
- Open-hand receive– You are allowed to set the serve
Players cannot return the serve by:
- Attacking the ball on the first hit. Contact with the ball must be made below the height of the net if it is to be directed back into the opponent’s side of the court
- Hitting / Blocking
- There is no male/female hitting rule/order
- A defensive block does not count as one of the allowable contacts. A player may reach over the net to block a ball if:
- Any portion of the ball breaks the plane of the net
- After the offense has come in contact with the ball on the third attempt
- Contact of the ball when spiking is legal only if a portion of the ball is in contact with the plane of the net or on the hitter’s side of the net. Hitters may follow through over the net after legal contact as long as they do not make contact with the net. The ball must be cleanly hit when spiking with an open or closed hand. Guiding or carrying is illegal
- No part of the body may touch the net at anytime
- Teams must rotate after every side out
- Teams may rotate in one of the following manners which must remain consistent for the entire game (teams may change rotation method from game to game within a match)
- Player for Player – A player who is out may substitute for a player who is on the court. These two players may only substitute for each other during the course of the game. Once you substitute in for someone, you may not substitute for anyone else. These two people may substitute an unlimited number of times
- Rotating In – All of your substitutes may rotate into one position on the court. You may not skip anyone unless it is to adhere to male/female ratio which limits it to no more than 4 men on the court at a time but as many females as you want. You cannot have a separate male and female rotation. Players usually rotate into the service position. Rotation must do so in the same order throughout the course of the game
- Matches will be played within the allotted time (60 Minutes)
- All games are played to 21--must win by 2 points, cap at 23 points
- Speed/Rally score will be used for all games
- One time-out (1 minute in length) per game is allowed
- Players will switch sides at 11pts.
- Players will rock paper scissors for choice of serve/side before the first game.
Referees will have a copy of the rules with them at each location. If there is a question or discrepancy, please ask the referee to check the rules if necessary. We also urge all teams to bring their own copy of the rules with them just in case.STANDINGS
The updated standings will be posted weekly. The standings will display each team’s rank within its skill level. Rank is based on winning percentage.PLAYOFFS
SEEDING / TIE BREAKERS
- Playoffs begin immediately following the end of the regular season
- Typically last between 1 and 2 weeks
- Possible for teams to have more than one match in a given night
- No players will be allowed to be picked up during playoffs
- All players must have signed the waiver by the first week of the season and be on your roster in order to be eligible for playoffs
- Teams that have violated the forfeit policy during the course of regular season (2 forfeits) will not be eligible for playoffs
- Playoffs are single elimination and games are a best 2 out of 3. Games will be played to 21 with rally scoring
Teams are seeded according to winning percentage. The tie breaker procedure is as follows:
- Head-to-head competition (among all tied teams)
- Record against other teams in or tied for playoffs (winning percentage – i.e., 0-1 is same as 0-2, but 1-3 is better than 0-1)
- Number of wins
- Record against next best common opponent
- If team forfeited loses tie breaker if others don't resolve seeding
- Coin toss
Any questions regarding rules, policies, or eligibility of players must be addressed before the start of the game. Any team that would like to challenge the eligibility of an opposing player must do so before the start of the game. No protests will be considered valid after a game has started.WAIVERS
In order to participate in the league, each participant must sign the team waiver. Waivers are provided and must be completed and handed in no later than the first night of play. Players not present the first week of play will still be required to sign a waiver with our staff before participating. Players must sign the waiver in order to be eligible for playoffs. GAME CANCELLATION
Games may be cancelled due to dangerous weather conditions, facility constraints or other unforeseeable reasons. ZogSports will not cancel games unless absolutely necessary so you should always assume games are on unless you receive an email. ZogSports will email all of the captains to let them know. It is then the captain’s responsibility to inform all teammates of the cancellation. SPORTSMANSHIP
In ZogSports leagues you are playing for your cause (a charity) and for fun. This is a social league and our goal is to have a good time. We hope that everyone keeps this in mind when playing. We know that some games will become very intense, but you can still be competitive and be a good sport. Thus, any behavior deemed unacceptable by us may result in suspension and/or ejection from a game or the league. Abuse of staff and/or referees will not be tolerated. ZogSports reserves the right to remove a player from a game or a league if we think that they are bringing down the quality of the league. No fighting will be tolerated. Fighting will result in an automatic ejection from any game and in most cases ejection from the league for the rest of the season.FORFEIT PENALTIES AND NOTIFICATION
- First Offense: Loss of match (all 3 games) and warning issued
- Second Offense: Loss of game and removal from the playoffs
- Third Offense: Loss of match and possible removal from the rest of the schedule
If you know in advance that your team is going to forfeit a game, you MUST contact us by at least 12pm the day before. Please send forfeit notifications to the league manager. It is not considered notification unless you receive a reply. If your decision is not made until after 12pm, you should still try to reach ZogSports so we can attempt to contact your opponent.
There is no additional penalty if you show up short-handed (and need to add other ZogSports players to field a full team) and have to forfeit the game, since you did make an effort to get a team to play. Once ZogSports is notified you are forfeiting, it is official (you cannot change your mind), and the other team will be notified.
CODE OF CONDUCT: The Participant’s Code of Conduct applies to all ZogSports
participants. This code applies to players as individuals or as a team, and
the penalties can apply to any individual or an entire team. This code
becomes effective as soon as participants arrive at the facility of play
and remains in effect until the participants leave the facility.
No Participant Shall:
1. At any time lay hand upon, push, shove, strike or threaten an official,
employee or participant.
2. Endanger the safety of any player, official, employee or spectator.
3. Refuse to abide by an official’s decision.
4. Verbally or physically abuse any official for any decision or judgment.
5. Verbally or physically abuse any participant.
6. Use unnecessary rough tactics in the play of the game against an
7. Demonstrate objectionable behavior or dissent at an official’s decision
by throwing equipment or any other forceful action.
8. Discuss with an official, in any manner, the decision reached by such
official (exception is made for team captains).
9. Smoke at the facility.
10. Discuss publicly with spectators in a derogatory manner any play,
decision, or personal opinion of other players during the game.
11. Appear on/at the facility in an intoxicated condition.
12. Play under another individual’s name, falsified name, or falsified
address on an official roster.
13. Promote any product to participants or field team.
14. Promote any competing league to participants or field team.
15. Engage in overly physical play.
16. Purposely disregard ZogSports league rules.
17. Display a lack of respect or care for facilities.
18. Possess or consume alcohol at the facility.
In addition, participants are liable for damage to equipment or the
Not following the Participant’s Code of Conduct could result in penalties
1. Warning by official
3. Suspension from games without refund
4. Removal from the league without refund
All players must be on the roster and sign the waiver prior to
participation or be subject to game forfeiture or disqualification.