4-on-4 Sand Volleyball 45 minutes Rules
Markets: Los Angeles, San Francisco
- Format is 4-on-4. Minimum of 1 women on the court at a time.
- Each match consists of 3 games (to 21 rally scoring – win by 2 or first to 23). Matches must be completed within the allotted time (45 minutes)
- No warm-up time on the court. Please come early and warm up on the side
- Teams forfeit 1 game for first 10 minutes past game time that they do not have enough players. Teams forfeit all games if not enough players after 20 minutes
- A team may rotate any number of players into the game in set order or choose to have a designated player for player substitutions.
- Carrying is illegal. A carry generally is any use of an open hand(s) while making contact with the ball that is not in a firm manner, but can be called with a closed fist at the referee’s discretion
- Any unsportsmanlike behavior will result in that player/team being suspended/removed from participating in all ZogSports leagues upon league manager review
FORFEITS/GAME TIME Please don’t forfeit. Your teammates and opponents count on you to have a full team and competitive game. Each team must have at least 4 players to start a game. Game time is forfeit time. Due to the extremely tight schedule, we strongly suggest arriving at the field 15-20 minutes before game time for stretching, changing, etc. since the games must start on time to complete the game.
FORFEIT NOTIFICATION If you know in advance that your team is going to forfeit a game, you MUST contact us by 3pm on the day of the game, or by 3pm Friday for weekend games at email@example.com. It is not considered notification unless you receive a reply. If your decision is not made until after 3pm, you should still try to reach ZogSports, and we will make efforts to contact the other team. There is no additional penalty if you show up short-handed (and need to add other ZogSports players to field a full team) and have to forfeit the game, since you did make an effort to get a team to play. So be sure to send as many representatives from your team as possible, even if you know it will be recorded as a forfeit loss. Once ZogSports is notified you are forfeiting, it is official (you cannot change your mind), and the other team will be notified.
FUNKY COURT RULES – OBSTRUCTIONS
Players may not touch the adjacent court or its imaginary extension while attempting to play a ball
If the ball from the other court enters your playing area, it will be a replay to avoid injury
A team may never have more than 3 men on the court at one time
A team may rotate any number of players into the game in set order or choose to have player for player substitutions. Rosters are limited to 7 players, but extra players can be added for an additional fee. However, no additional players will be added to the roster after the 4th week. Waivers must be signed by all players and handed in before the start of the first game.
PICKING UP PLAYERS
- Matches will be played within the allotted time (45 Minutes)
- All games are played to 21 – must win by 2 points – cap at 23 points
- Speed/Rally score will be used for all games
- One time-out (1 minute in length) per game is allowed
- Players will switch sides at 11pts
- Players will rock paper scissors for choice of serve/side before the first and third game
- Let serves are allowed, and the ball can be played off the net on a serve
- The server may not step on or over the end line until the ball has been contacted
- The width of the service area is from sideline to sideline and the depth of the service area is infinite
- If a player steps on or over the line, a foot fault will be called and it will be a side out
- The serve receive may not be blocked or spiked or attacked with an overhand gesture towards the ball
Service Receive: Players can return the serve by:
- Bump pass
- Clasping their hands together
- A closed fist
- Open-hand receive– You are allowed to set the serve
Players cannot return the serve by:
- Attacking the ball on the first hit. Contact with the ball must be made below the height of the net if it is to be directed back into the opponent’s side of the court
- You can use any part of your body to hit the ball as long as it is not a carry – Exception is the serve must be put into play with your arm
- There is no male/female hitting rule/order
- Any portion of the ball breaks the plane of the net.
- After the offense has come in contact with the ball on the third attempt. A defensive block does not count as one of the allowable contacts. A player may reach over the net to block a ball if:
- Contact of the ball when spiking is legal only if a portion of the ball is in contact with the plane of the net or on the hitter’s side of the net. Hitters may follow through over the net after legal contact as long as they do not make contact with the net.
- The ball must be cleanly hit when spiking with an open or closed hand.
- Guiding or carrying is illegal
No part of the body may touch the net at anytime
Teams must rotate after every side out. This includes the first side out of the game. A team is not allowed to decide not to rotate for their first service. Teams may rotate in one of the following manners which must remain consistent for the entire game (teams may change rotation method from game to game within a match):
- Player for Player – A player who is out may substitute for a player who is on the court. These two players may only substitute for each other during the course of the game. Once you substitute in for someone, you may not substitute for anyone else. These two people may substitute an unlimited number of times
- Rotating In – All of your substitutes may rotate into one position on the court. You may not skip anyone unless it is to adhere to male/female ratio which limits it to no more than 4 men on the court at a time but as many females as you want. You can not have a separate male and female rotation. Players usually rotate into the service position. Rotation must do so in the same order throughout the course of the game.
To encourage more participation, teams may choose to rotate two people in simultaneously; however, both cannot enter the same line at the same time. In other words, 1 should enter the front line and the other should enter the back line.If you play with 4 players, the server is considered back row. When new players arrive they may come in as soon as they are ready in the back row in a non-serving position.
- When one person double contacts the ball with one motion
- Double Contacts are allowed on the first ball over the net as long as it is one attempt to play the ball
- NOT allowed on a team’s 2nd or 3rd contact
- Any use of of an open hand(s) while making contact with the ball that is not in a firm manner – can also be called with a closed fist at the referee’s discretion
- All Carrying is illegal
USA Volleyball Rules apply unless stated otherwise
STANDINGS The standings for Volleyball will be based on the following point system:
- Win: 3 points
- Loss: 0 points
- Draw: 1 point
- Forfeit: -1 points
- Playoffs begin following the end of the regular season
- Teams should expect to have more than one match in a given night
- No players will be allowed to be picked up during playoffs
- All players must have signed the waiver by the first week of the season and be on your roster in order to be eligible for playoffs
- Teams that have violated the forfeit policy during the course of regular season (2 forfeits) will not be eligible for playoffs
- Playoffs are single elimination and games are a best 2 out of 3. Games will be played with the same scoring as the regular season.
TIE BREAKERS FOR PLAYOFFS/SEEDING 1. Team with more forfeits automatically loses tie breaker 2. Number of Wins 3. Head-to-Head competition between all tied teams 4. Record against other teams in or tied for playoffs (winning percentage – i.e., 0-1 is same as 0-2, but 1-3 is better than 0-1) 5. Coin toss by ZogSports
In order to participate in the league, each participant must sign the team waiver. Waivers are provided and must be completed and handed in no later than the first night of play. Players not present the first week of play will still be required to sign a waiver with our staff before participating. Players must sign the waiver in order to be eligible for playoffs.
- Games may be cancelled due to dangerous weather conditions, facility constraints or other unforeseeable reasons.
- ZogSports will not cancel games unless absolutely necessary so you should always assume games are on unless you receive an email.
- Weather Alert Page at https://play.zogsports.com/weather-alert-hotline
- Weather Alert Hotline (332) 213-9023
- ZogSports is a Charity-Focused, Co-ed Social Sports League
- While we appreciate the level of competitiveness in our league, we do not tolerate any unsportsmanlike behavior. This includes anyone who:
- Antagonizes players on other teams or their own teammates
- Exhibits excessive uncontrollable play
- Inappropriately “mouths off” to the referee(s)
- Verbally or physically threatens a member of our staff
- Any player ejected from a game will be suspended for a minimum of one game upon league review
- ZogSports reserves the right to remove any player from a game(s), season and/or future season.
- ZogSports reserves the right to remove a full team from the schedule and/or future seasons if we feel they are unable to participate in a manner in keeping with ZogSports’ mission to provide a fun, charity-focused, co-ed league.