Kickball Rules – NJ
Markets: New Jersey
• 11 players on the field maximum including at least 5 women
• 7 players (at least 3 women) required to start the game
• No bouncies (a.k.a. bouncing pitches)
• No head shots (i.e., you can throw the ball at the runner, but NOT at their head)
• All fielders must stay behind the pitching line until the ball is kicked
• Bunting is allowed, but limited to 3 per inning.
• 1 base on overthrow is maximum, but not guaranteed
• To encourage participation, everyone present at the game must be in the kicking order and teams must play with 11 players in the field if they have enough to do so
• No more than 3 men may kick in a row in the kicking order
• ZogSports will provide umpires for every game
• ZogSports will provide regulation red bouncy kickballs, a set of bases and set-up the field for each game
• 7 inning games (or 60 minute time limit – no mercy rule)
• Any unsportsmanlike behavior will result in that player/team being suspended/removed from participating in all ZogSports leagues for one year
Please don’t forfeit. Your teammates and opponents count on you to have a full team and provide a competitive game. Each team must have at least 7 (seven) players including at least 3 (three) women, to start a game. Game time is forfeit time. There is a 10-minute grace period for early games only. Due to the extremely tight schedule, we strongly suggest arriving at the field 20-30 minutes before game time for warm-ups since the games must start on time to complete the game.
START OF THE GAME
Home team is listed second on the schedule and will take the field first. In the playoffs, the higher seed will be the home team. Each team is responsible for keeping the score and having their kicking order written down. Before the start of the game, both captains will meet at home plate to discuss the ground rules with the umpire and submit line-up cards.
Line-up cards will be filled out before the start of each game (first name/last name) and handed to the umpire when the ground rules are given. The umpire’s card will be the official card. All changes to your line-up must be reported to the umpire and opposing team. Teams not handing in their card at this time will be penalized one out in their first at kick. If the card is not handed in by the end of the first inning, that team will forfeit the game. Umpires will be happy to help remind you of the kicking order but we strongly suggest keeping a copy of of the kicking order on your bench for your team to refer to.
All games are seven innings or about 60-minutes (warm up time included); the last inning will start 15 minutes before the next scheduled game. [If there is no scheduled game after the current game, the umpire will allow the teams to complete the game as long as it does not exceed 90 minutes in length.] The umpire will enforce this rule and will make the call at the top of the final inning. Note: Due to differing circumstances in each and every game, some games will finish short of the full 60 minutes, while others might run over the time limit. Please respect your umpire’s call in this matter. He/she must keep all games on time in fairness to teams playing later games and due to Parks permit restrictions.
Please, no infield or kicking practice before a game. Get to your games early enough to warm up on the side while the previous game is still being played. Give yourself plenty of time to get to the games, as the subways are often unpredictable and the fields are located 5-15 minutes away from the subway station. No warm-up pitches between innings. Have your team hustle on and off the field each inning since we are on a tight schedule. Have fun and please do not give the umpires a hard time. Thanks for your cooperation.
Exception: A 10-minute grace period will be allowed for the first game only, but this will come out of the game time. The umpire’s watch is the official game time. Umpires or the league supervisor may call an end or a postponement of a game at any time due to time restrictions or weather conditions. No protests will be accepted concerning calling a game due to time limit restrictions.
Tie Rule – If a game is tied after seven innings, one extra inning of play will be allowed to break the tie, time permitting. If time expires and game is tied, the game stands as a tie.
ZogSports offers two ways to check if your game is on or rained out:
-Primary – Weather Alert Hotline at 332-213-9023 (please do not leave message on this number)
-Secondary – Weather alert page at https://play.zogsports.com/weather-alert-hotline
We will do our best to post rainout information as soon as possible on the day of the game but typically a decision cannot be made until close to game time. This will include which fields; if any are playable. If inclement weather occurs after 5:30 pm, information on rainouts will be available on the Weather Alert Hotline only, not on the website. We will make an effort to have games on every playable field possible. When in doubt, please call the Weather Alert Hotline before leaving for you game!
RAINOUT MAKE UP DATES
Rainouts will be made up. However, you could get rained out on Monday and make-up the game as early as later that week. You may also play more than one game a week, depending on the number of rainouts. If ZogSports experiences excessive rainouts during the season, there is a chance that your team will not be scheduled for all of your make up games. We sincerely hope that this does not happen, but acknowledge the possibility. Thanks for understanding.
There is no maximum number of players allowed on your roster. However, if you exceed our suggested roster size (18), you will be charged an additional $35 per player. Teams can drop and add players up to the 4th week of the season. Rosters are frozen after the last game of the 4th week. Rosters must be submitted before the start of the first game played.
ZogSports will supply a red bouncy kickball and bases for each game.
Only captains can discuss a rule with the umpire and no judgment calls will be discussed. Players will be ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct towards an umpire.
Playing Field – The field is the same as a softball field. The dimensions for field set-up are as follows:
• The distance between bases is approximately 18 yards (about 18 paces)
• 2nd base is approximately 26 yards (about 26 paces) from home plate
• The pitcher’s mound/line is approximately 14 yards (about 14 paces) from home plate
Number of Players on the Field
• Maximum number of players in the field is 11 with no more than 6 men.
• There are no position requirements of any players, (i.e., there need not be 2 females in outfield and 2 in the infield).
• Minimum number of players in the field/your starting line-up is 7 including at least 3 women. There is no maximum number of women allowed on the field/in your line-up. No more than 6 men are allowed on the field at one time.
• A team does not need to play someone at the catcher position unless they have 9 or more players.
• A player arriving late may be inserted at the bottom of the order even if you have kicked around one or more times. You are allowed to place that player in the field, if your team is not kicking. Make the umpire and opposing team aware of these additions.
• If a team has less than the minimum required number of players it is up to the opponent as to what is allowable (i.e., the opposing team may give a team a player or allow them to pick up another ZogSports player). If this is not possible, the game will be ruled a forfeit.
There is NO infield fly rule. However, it is illegal to purposely drop the ball or pretend/fake catch the ball in order to gain an advantage such as turn a double play. Such plays will be subject to the discretion of the referee an may be treated as an automatic out for the kicker.
Running (No Leading or Stealing, Yes Tagging Up)
• Runners can leave the base once the ball is kicked. If a runner leaves early, the ball is dead and the runner is declared out. If this is the 3rd out of the inning the kicker will be first up in the next inning
• Runners must stay within the base line and fielders must stay out of the base line.
• Tagging up is permitted. After the ball touches a player in the field, a runner may tag the base they were on and try to run to the next base.
• NO SLIDING INTO FIRST BASE
No Head Shots – Part of the fun of kickball is throwing the ball at the runners. However, you cannot hit them in the head or neck. If you do, the runner is safe and advances 1 extra base (beyond the base they were running to). If the runner intentionally blocks the ball with their head, the runner will be out. (Ump’s discretion).
Ground Rules (Doubles/Home Runs) – Balls kicked over the fence are considered a home run. If the ball bounces over the fence it will be a ground rule double.
Fake tags and barreling will result in immediate ejection from the game and will not be tolerated. Sliding is not required, however a runner must be attempting to reach base and the defensive player must be attempting to catch the ball. If there is no play, the defensive player cannot block a base. Warnings will be issued, followed by ejection from the game if necessary. Collisions and injuries are to be avoided if at all possible.
TIE BREAKERS FOR PLAYOFFS/SEEDINGS (Half of each division qualifies)
1. Winning percentage
2. Head-to-head competition
3. Record against other teams in or tied for playoffs (winning percentage – i.e., 0-1 is same as 0-2, but 1-3 is better than 0-1)
4. Number of wins
5. Record against next best common opponent
6. If team forfeited, loses tie breaker if other tiebreaker rules don’t resolve seeding
ZogSports is a charity-focused, social sports club for young professionals. Our goal is for you to have fun. We hope that you keep this in mind when participating. Although the games may become intense, you still can be competitive while maintaining good sportsmanship. With this said, any behavior deemed unacceptable by the umpire or ZogSports staff may result in suspension and/or ejection from a game or the league.
• Metal spikes are not allowed. Any player wearing metal spikes will be ejected from the game. If that player is caught wearing spikes a second time, they will be removed from the league. No warnings.
• Any player(s)/team(s) that are involved in a fight will be suspended from all ZogSports Leagues for life. Any teams will forfeit all remaining games. The umpire has the right to sit a player for an inning if necessary.
• Any excessive contact or collision will result in an out and ejection of player. You must give yourself up, get out of the way or slide. No exceptions, IMMEDIATE ejection if players do not follow this rule.
• Any player abusing the umpire will automatically be ejected from the game without a warning.
• A player ejected for ANY reason will be suspended for the next game. If that player is caught playing in that game, the team will forfeit.
Unfortunately beer is not allowed on/at the field. Please wait until after the games to join us at our Happy Hour bars for the drinking to begin. Please do your part to keep the parks clean and use the trash cans provided. This is really important. If anyone drinks alcoholic beverages at any of the fields, we risk losing our permits. Anyone who is caught drinking at the field risks being suspended for the remainder of the season without refund. We also risk losing our permits if we do not clean-up any trash left behind.
ZogSports is a Charity-Focused, Co-ed Social Sports League
While we appreciate the level of competitiveness in our league, we do not tolerate any unsportsmanlike behavior. This includes anyone who:
• Antagonizes players on other teams or their own teammates
• Exhibits excessive uncontrollable play
• Inappropriately “mouths off” to the referee(s)
• Verbally or physically threatens a member of our staff
• Any player ejected from a game will be suspended for a minimum of one game
• ZogSports reserves the right to remove any player from a game(s), season and/or future season
• ZogSports reserves the right to remove a full team from the schedule and/or future seasons if we feel they are unable to participate in a manner in keeping with ZogSports’ mission to provide a fun, charity-focused, co-ed league
• No metal cleats may be worn
FORFEIT PENALTIES AND NOTIFICATION
First Offense: Loss of game and warning issued
Second Offense: Loss of game and removal from the playoffs
Third Offense: Removal from the rest of the schedule
If you know in advance that your team is going to forfeit a game, you MUST email email@example.com before 4:00pm on the day of the game if your game is a weeknight game or 4pm on the Friday before a weekend game. It is not considered notification unless you receive a reply.
There is no additional penalty if you show up short-handed (and need to add other ZogSports players to field a full team) and have to forfeit the game, since you did make an effort to get a team to play.
Once ZogSports is notified you are forfeiting, it is official (you cannot change your mind), and the other team will be notified.
CODE OF CONDUCT: The Participant’s Code of Conduct applies to all ZogSports participants. You can access the ZogSports Participant’s Code of Conduct HERE.